first friday oakland , spring fashion
These are pollen grains captured under a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). What makes pollen so amazing, aside from making pretty microscopy pics and making people’s allergies play up? Pollen isn’t capable of dissolution in hydrochloric or hydrofluoric acids. What’s so amazing about that? Well hydrofluoric acid can break down silicic minerals and calcium – which includes human blood and tissue. HF can cause severe chemical burns and can be fatal. But it has no effect on pollen.
Palynology can be used to determine past environments and can be applied to problems in many fields including geology, botany, paleontology, archaeology, pedology (soil study), and geography.
A Word From The Wise:
- “If you copy, it means you’re working without any real feeling. Not two people on earth are alike, and it’s got to be that way in music, or it isn’t music.” - Billie Holiday
- “When I sing, trouble can sit right on my shoulders and I wouldn’t notice.” - Sarah Vaughan
- “The only time that I am really truly happy, when I feel my best, is when I’m on stage.” - Etta James
- “Everything that happened to me as a child involved music. It was apart of everyday life, as automatic as breathing.” - Nina Simone
- “Being a singer is a natural gift. It means I’m using to the highest degree possible, the gift God gave me to use. I’m happy with that.” - Aretha Franklin
- “I am always aware that there’s an audience out there, and as a performer, I have to make a warm connection. People want to see as song as well as hear it.” - Nancy Wilson
- “I’ve been happily married to my profession for years.” - Shirley Bassey
- “I do not have an act, I just do Eartha Kitt. I want to be whoever Eartha Kitt is until the gods take me wherever they take me.” - Eartha Kitt